First planted in 1894 by German settlers, the Nuriootpa vineyard was purchased by Samuel Elderton Tolley in 1916 and named The Elderton Estate. After 60 years of selling the fruit to his family, Samuel sold the vineyard to the Ashmead family in 1979, who made the first Elderton Label wine in 1982.
Elderton’s vision is to create excellence, from distinguished vineyard sites, and in 1993 the vineyard shot to national prominence after winning the Jimmy Watson Trophy. Today, Elderton is run by the second generation of the Ashmead family, brothers Cameron and Allister. It encompasses three vineyards that highlight individual terroirs of the region, with the brothers keen on buying vineyards in other significant sub appellations of the Barossa.