The Scottish-born Ryrie brothers ventured into the Yarra Valley, acquiring 43,000 acres and naming the land ‘Yering’, its Aboriginal name. The brothers planted two grape varieties and during the early 1850s Paul de Castella took ownership of Yering Station and began developing the station into a landmark of winemaking in Victoria.
Wines from this new region began to make their mark on the world, with Yering taking out awards such as the Argus Gold Cup for best Victorian Vineyard in 1861 and a Grand Prix at the Universal Exhibition in Paris in 1889, where only fourteen awards were ever presented internationally.
After changing hands several times throughout the early-to-mid 1900s, Yering Station was purchased by the Rathbone family in 1996. The Rathbone family’s vision for the property has led to major accomplishments including winning the ‘International Winemaker of the Year’ at the highly established International Wine and Spirit Competition, London 2004.